Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The 411 on the Little Ladies...

So, the school year has come and gone, and I now sit here looking at my First grader and Kindergartener and wonder to myself, "How the heck did that happen?".  They're still babies, right?  They can't possibly be that old. It just isn't fair.  I'm finding myself on this fence...One side is sooo thrilled about how awesome they are, while the other is really missing them being smaller.  Don't get me wrong, I really like this age of being able to do pretty much anything with them, but the independence kills me sometimes.  I know I'm not the only parent that's ever felt like this.  This whole parenting thing is nothing if not a learning curve.  But I digress...On to positive things :)

Emma's Kindergarten year puts her reading at an end of third grade level, excelling at everything, and totally ready to rock first grade.  She won the Citizenship Award for her class, and of course, I cried.  It was so different being in the "real" awards day program and not just picking her up from Pre-K.  Abs even went, even though Pre-K'ers aren't allowed.  The end of the year for Abby brought a fabulous report from her teacher, also.  She's totally ready for Kindergarten and writes everything.  Matter of fact, she almost has better penmanship than EK, who loathes writing.  Suffice to say, I don't think we have anything to worry about for next year...Well, except for Abby trying to bat her eyelashes and get away with everything.  Kindergarten better watch out!

So far, in the week and a half they've been out of school, we've practically lived in the pool and the air conditioning.  With temps being 100 + outside, the pool isn't even good enough to cool off some days.  I dread seeing our electric bill after the heat this month.  EK's read about 20 books thus far, and has a list of about 100 more she wants to read before school's back in.  Both of the girls came home with recommended reading lists for the summer, but my over achiever says we need to read all of them.  She's totally into the Ramona series, so now I'm worried about what she's going to read over the next few years if she's reading them all now.  Ugh!  Abby, on the other hand, could care less right now, and that's ok.  She's still enjoying being read to, versus doing it herself.

Both of the girls are swimming on their own, sans floaties, so that's a huge accomplishment.  Abby's starting off the summer already jumping off the side of the pool, so I'm guessing that by the end, she'll be just as much of a fish as EK is.  Fingers crossed, anyway :)

So, here's to a long summer of relaxing, reading, swimming, playing, staying up past bedtime, sleeping in, watching fireworks, and eating way too many icees.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment